Friday, June 4, 2010

Favourite Etsy Shop Friday


Favourite Etsy Shop Feature

The Fabric Farm
www.TheFabricFarm.etsy.com

1. Tell us a bit about yourself.

Hi, I'm Kristin (Krissy to my nearest and dearest). I have 2 lovely little girls Ada (4) and Lucy (2) and a wonderfully supportive husband Nate. We live on Cape Cod in the house I grew up in with a coop full of chickens out back and workshops scattered throughout the house and yard for each of our countless hobbies and interests.


2. What made you open your shop and why Etsy?


Ready for a big roundabout story? Here we go...In my pre-kids life I was a Potter and had a small shop on Etsy but mostly sold my work locally. I have always been a big shopper on Etsy though, it's always the first place I look for a great gift or something to make life just that much sweeter. After I had Ada I started up
www.SillyGoat.etsy.com to sell my handmade items. If you know Cape Cod at all we are a bit isolated here, there is 1 fabric store in town and one chain store about 20 minutes away, neither of which have any fabric I wanted. So... I figured if I am having trouble finding the good stuff locally than other people probably feel the same way, and voila The Fabric Farm was born. My main goal was to find a way to be a stay at home mom and work from home. Thank you Etsy!!


3. Do you sell your fabric anywhere else?

Nope. I hope to open up my own website in the nearish future but I think I will always stick to Etsy as well, I love the sense of community that I get there. It rarely feels like "business" and I have met a lot of great people through convos.

4. How did you choose your shop name?


I'm a wannabe farmer. I live on 1/2 acre of land but try to use every square inch of it to grow something useful. We have our chickens for eggs but I desperately want some goats, maybe a sheep for wool but we're not zoned for it. I feel like my house really is a Fabric Farm as I sit in my living room that is lined with bolts of fabric on shelves! Plus I like the alliteration.



5. What are you favourite things to do?

Sewing, pottery, knitting, crocheting, fishing, gardening, camping, cooking, brewing beer and mead, canning, reading, watching movies, drawing, creating anything really, being outside but mostly I'm just happy being at home with my family.


6. Do you do anything with your wonderful fabrics in your own crafting?

YES! How could I not? Aside from my other shop, SillyGoat where I sell my handmade items, I do most of my sewing for myself and friends. It's practically torture that there are only 24 hours in a day! I just made the cutest tab top curtains for my kitchen the other day from Amy Butler's Sun Spots in Turquoise (I can't stop staring at them I love them sooo much!) and I have made about 5 of Amy Butler's Barcelona skirts for myself in the last few weeks (I have the pattern in my shop and I highly recommend it). My daughter's both have way WAY too many dresses and tops and nightgowns and I rarely buy Christmas or baby gifts for anyone as I think homemade shows so much more thought.


7. Which is your most popular fabric?

It's hard to say....Today it's Anna Maria Horner's Small Gathering in Azalea but Amy Butler's Trumpet Flowers in Pink and Tumble Roses in Pink are right up there as well.

8. If you could learn one new craft what would it be?

Screenprinting for sure. I'm an artsy type so I would love to add some hand printed fabrics to my shop. I'm busily searching for a class that will work with my schedule but it's not looking promising for me until the girls get a bit bigger. I will be taking a workshop at the end of this month on natural dyeing so that could turn into something interesting as well...




9. Which handmade possession given to you do you cherish?

I still have my baby quilt that my Dad made for me before I was born. It's green and yellow and wonderfully 70's looking. My Mom was the quilter but I think he just wanted in on the action. As far as I know he never had sewn before and hasn't since. The edges are all frayed and it shows it's age (30 in September!) but I just love the thought of him putting it all together for me.

10. Name 3 other Etsy shops you love to visit.


Yavaglass (ooh yeah, want to learn how to do that too!)
Spreadthelove (wonderfully designed and inspiring prints)

JaneRichmond (the most gorgeous and current knitting patterns)




Thank you so much to The Fabric Farm for the great interview and being my featured favourite for this week. I am a big fan of Amy Butler and Anna Maria Horner fabric. I have wanted to get into quilting for a very long time and all this wonderful fabric just inspires me so much to just jump in and do it. Not only is there fabric but lovely patterns you can buy so that you make something from your purchase. Everything in one location what a convenience. I think its so great that she makes alot of items from the fabric she sells and I agree, how could you not. So go over and check out this shop and I am sure you will feel inspired to purchase some fabric and start creating.

No comments: