Friday, December 4, 2009

Favourite Etsy Shop Friday


Favourite Etsy Shop Feature

Fairy & Fantasy Art by Rachel Anderson
www.twosilverstars.etsy.com

1. Tell us a bit about yourself.
I have been fascinated with the world of fantasy since I was little. The idea that you could fall down a rabbit hole and enter a strange magical world took hold of me and inspired me to create my own characters and stories through drawing and painting. Eventually I discovered online communities of artists and was introduced to the medium I currently use, which is digital painting. I create my paintings using a pressure sensitive tablet and pen in photoshop, mainly using the brush tools in a similar way to how one would work with oil paints.


2. What made you open your shop and why Etsy?

I knew other artists who had Etsy shops, so I started poking around the site a bit. Of course I got sucked in right away by the huge variety of cool handmade items. I signed up in January of 2008 to save the user name that I usually use online, but didn't actually start listing until late July of that year. And then I was inspired to create some new items for my shop, like the jewelry and pocket mirrors which feature my artwork.




3. Do you sell your items anywhere else?
Yes, my main website is http://silverstars.us

4. How did you choose your shop name?

I've been using silverstars or twosilverstars as my online user name at other sites for many years now, so I figured I would use it at Etsy as well. If silverstars is taken (which it usually is) I add the "two". The name doesn't really reflect what I sell in my shop, I just thought it was pretty.



5. What are your favourite things to do?
Well, my artwork is not only my career, but it is also one of my favorite things to do. It's nice to be able to do what you love for your job. I also love baking and reading. I often listen to audio books while I'm painting.


6. What inspires you?

I have a chronically overactive imagination so I'm never short on ideas for my artwork. Even little things like listening to music, watching a movie, or just seeing a certain colour can all inspire ideas for new paintings. I love nature and how peaceful and magical it can be walking through a forest. So I try to reflect that in my artwork.




7. Of all your fairy pictures, which one is your favourite?
Hmm, this is sort of like trying to pick a favourite child... I think right now I am most satisfied with Sweet Dreams. I have felt a bit "stuck" as far as skill advancement goes, and I think maybe I made a bit of a breakthrough with this one. Hopefully...


8. Which product is your most popular?

As far as products go my prints are definitely the biggest sellers, and pocket mirrors are probably a close second. As far as paintings go, Lily of the Valley and Sweet Dreams are probably my biggest sellers.



9. Which handmade possession given to you do you cherish?
I've been given a lot of jewelry from etsy sellers that I really love. I think my favourite is a pair of hand made glass twist earrings that my mom gave me Glass Twisty Earrings

10. Name 3 other Etsy shops you love to visit.

Oh wow, it's hard to pick just three!
Sweet Fritsy
AmberSky
Beastlies



Thank you to Rachel Anderson for being my favourite Etsy shop for this week. Aren't these fairy pictures just amazing. I dont know any little girl who doesnt love fairies. Even my Victoria who likes alot of boy type things, loves fairies. I dont think that the love of fairies ever goes away either. I know I still find them beautiful and fascinating. How wonderful that Rachel has incorporated her wonderful paintings on items that you can take with you and show off so you will always have a fairy with you. You just have to check out her other pictures and the other products you can purchase with these pictures on them. There is something for every fairy lover.

No comments: