Friday, July 9, 2010

Favourite Etsy Shop Friday


Favourite Etsy Shop Feature

Meg's Monsters
www.megsmonsters.etsy.com

1. Tell us a bit about yourself.
This is a question that is always hard for me. I went to college at Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA) in Baltimore, MD. I studied graphic design and digital illustration, I received my BFA. I decided that I loved school so much, I returned to MICA and got my MFA in sculpture. First and foremost I am a potter. There is nothing better for me in my life than to be in the studio throwing and creating. I can honestly say, I love my job. I am recently re-married and have become a stepmom. It has been a strange transition, but an awesome one! I have a pretty darn good life!


2.What made you open your shop and why Etsy?

When I lived in Maryland, I was doing many art shows on the weekend. It is a lot to setup and tear down every weekend. I decided I had enough of that so, I opened a gallery. The gallery was ARTFX. I had the gallery for 7 years and sold the business in 2008 and moved to Bend, OR. Upon arriving to Bend, I thought long and hard about opening another brick and mortar store. I decided that I needed to not to do that again. That is when I decided that I needed to pursue both ETSY and gallery representation.




3. Do you sell your monsters anywhere else?
I sell my monsters in Annapolis, MD to ARTFX, my former gallery. I also sell at a gallery called DonTerra in Sisters, OR. I am working with other galleries to wholesale my monsters. I do do the occasional show. I also am setting up a home show with other artists in my area.

4. What are your favourite things to do?

Bend is an extremely active community. It is the high desert here and the Cascade range of mountains is here too. With that said.....I like to hike, kayak and take a gazing walk in the park. I like music a lot, I sing with the Cascade Chorale and it fills the passion I have for singing. I love spending time with my family too. I could go on, but this seems the most pertinent to the question.




5. What inspires you?
My stepkids. They are 8 and 11 and they have the biggest imaginations. I listen to them often and roll with some of their conversations. I also find just looking at the world around me. Music is a huge influence in my life. I can listen to something with a fast beat or some beat and it seems to influence my work with the way the monsters turn out. If I listen to classical music, they seem to be a little softer around the edges...if you know what I mean? LOL!!!


6. Which of your monsters is your favourite?

I would have to say "BIFF". I like his simplicity. For some reason, one eyed guys are speaking to me lately...and the customers too.



7. Which is the most popular type of monster item, eg. mini, jar, bank etc.?
Definitely my lidded jars. The $45 dollar size and up.

8. If you could learn one new craft what would it be?
I really have been interested in glass for years now. I would love to learn to both blow and fused glass. The fused glass is probably more realistic, since I already have a kiln. Which really would feed my need to do glass.



9. Which handmade possession given to you do you cherish?
My dining room table. My dad made it. He was an amazing woodworker. I use it to eat meals with my family, my sewing table, my art table...it definitely is a huge part of my life. I am so lucky to have a piece of my dad to remember him by. It keeps him alive in my heart and mind everyday.

10. name 3 other Etsy shops that you love to visit.

That is really hard....there are so many I like. I guess if I had to pick 3, they would be as follows.

Matte Stephens
Yoga Goat Pottery
Gnipmac


Thank you to Meg's Monsters for being my favourite Etsy shop feature this week. These monsters are so full of character and spunk. I could imagine a shelf filled with them like a monster party. I love how each one is unique with their own personality. Check out this shop and see if you can find a favourite monster of your own. There may be one just sitting there waiting for you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yea! you picked a a great artist to feature. Thanks for mentioning us.