Friday, May 7, 2010

Favourite Etsy Shop Friday


Favourite Etsy Shop Feature

Unique Buttons
www.uniquebuttons.etsy.com

My name is LeAnn Larson and I live in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Happily married for 41 years, an empty nester and currently a stay at home mom to a very spoiled little white poodle named SuzyQ. After having a stained glass business for over 20 plus years that was bought out by Kokomo art glass a couple of years ago. We employed 13 people and sold gifts and suncatchers both retail and wholesale and did many art fairs under the name Pane In The Glass.

After selling my business I still had ideas left undone that I decided to pursue. One of those ideas was to create a line of permanent glass casting molds for the glass fusers I market online under E-Pane In The Glass and also on my website - www.mosaicstuff.com



I have been a crafter my entire life dabbling in ceramics, stained glass, glass blowing, sewing, knitting and crocheting, just to name a few. I have been working with clay my whole life. As a child growing up in a small town we had a clay shack in the parking lot of the municipal swimming pool. I can remember paying my 50 cents to go there and staying for hours to play in the clay.

One day I decided I needed a great unusual button for a sweater I made and couldn't find one that I really liked so I decided to make my own. The one I made was a large fused art glass button made is a mold I also made. That was my the start of the buttons. You can see some of my buttons at www.uniquebuttons.etsy.com and www.unique_buttons.com



What inspires me is the beauty around us in every day, in nature. I love birds, flowers, leaves, pinecones, acorns, trees, rocks, fossils and animals and you will see this in my work.

Currently my favorite thing to do is Raku fired pottery. It is an ancient process that combines fire and smoke to produce one of a kind glaze colors and texture. It is a very hands on process where you heat the pieces up very quickly and when they are at maximum temperature (about 2000 degrees) they are pulled out of the kiln and placed in a container with combustibles to create fire and smoke and left to cool. This is an outside activity and thanks to my very supportive hubby for building me a kiln in my backyard, I have been able to create beautiful buttons and jewelry in. Its a bit like Christmas morning when you open the pots you just never can predict the results.



I have a 10 year old grandson that I adore and have tried to inspire him with my art and this year for Christmas, much to my delight and surprise he made me a tied fleece blanket that he was very proud of! Needless to say I was thrilled and will cherish it forever. My children have not followed me in my sometimes strange pursuits, but all my family have been very supportive. They never blink an eye when they find leaves and pinecones in the freezer, clay drying in the oven or glaze all over the table!



I chose to market my pieces on Etsy because it is known for handmade art and it has been a perfect fit for my work. I have many wonderful buyers who appreciate one of a kind buttons and pendants. I plan to stay on Etsy for many years. It is my great customers who keep me inspired and creative.

There are so many wonderful Etsy artists that it is touch to choose just a few as my favorites. Anyone doing creative crafts or art of any kind has my admiration. I am always amazed at all the talent in the world. How wonderful to fill our days with creative pursuits.



Thank you so much to Unique Buttons for being my featured Etsy shop this week. I just love handmade ceramic buttons. They really make a project special. I just love the natural images and the colours of these buttons. When you stop by this shop you will find more than just buttons. There are pendants, shawl pins, wedding charms and earrings. I would call it wearable art. Once you've tried handmade ceramic buttons you will want to use them all the time.


1 comment:

jdavissquared said...

wow! those buttons are really pretty! thanks for sharing!

found you on etsy forums. I hope you'll come visit me too!

http://jdavissquared.blogspot.com/