Friday, August 7, 2009

Favourite Etsy Shop Friday


Favourite Etsy Shop Feature

Nature Is Art
www.NatureIsArt.etsy.com

1. Tell us a bit about yourself.

I’m a full time photographer specializing in wildlife subjects. I live in the Detroit, Michigan area with my wife of 35 years…I’ll bet the average age of Etsy sellers isn’t 35 years! :<) Two weeks ago our 31 year old daughter presented us with our first grandchild who I can say without any bias is the most beautiful granddaughter ever born in the history of the world! We also have a 29 year old son who lives with his wife in Montana.

2. What made you decide to open your shop and why Etsy?

A couple of years ago I was doing an art fair in Pittsburgh, PA. The artist in the booth next to me told me that Etsy was a good outlet to earn extra income. That was in June of 2007. I looked at Etsy when I got home after that fair and thought it might be a good place to sell my photos but I didn’t actually open my shop until December after my art fair season was over.



3. Other than Etsy, where else do you sell your photographs?

I do 25 to 30 art fairs each year and that is my full time "job". I’ve also sold my photos to be used in books, magazines, calendars and as posters and greeting cards.


4. How did you choose your shop name?


My shop name is the same as my already existing website. I came up with the name because even though I’ve never really considered myself to be an artist I always thought that my subjects were works of art in themselves and it’s been my job to record those works of art as photographs.



5. What are your other favourite things to do?


My new favorite thing to do is spend time with my granddaughter. :<) Other than that my life revolves around my photographic subjects. I love reading about animals, watching TV shows about animals, watching the birds at my feeders, especially the hummingbirds, and going on hikes in local parks where I might see animals. I guess I need to get a life! :<)


6. What inspires you?


My subjects themselves inspire me of course. If I’m at an art fair and someone asks me for a photo of an animal I don’t have it inspires me to learn about and photograph that animal. And, there are certain photographers whose work inspires me and I enjoy looking through their books or the photos on their websites.




7. What animal do you enjoy photographing the most?

The first animals I photographed were songbirds like chickadees, cardinals, hummingbirds etc. They are still my favorite subject. They’re beautiful and challenging subjects.


8. Of all the photographs in your shop, which is the most popular?


I think I’ve sold more of my “Windblown - Wild Horse” on Etsy than any other photo.




9. Where have you traveled to to take such beautiful diverse animal photographs?

I have photos I’ve taken anywhere from Maine to Alaska and many states in between as well as Canada and Africa. I like to tell people that the best part of my “job” is traveling to where the animals live. I even will photograph in zoos to get subjects I’m not able to photograph in the wild.


10. Name 3 other Etsy shops you love to visit.


I’m a very typical male in that I really don’t like to shop except for “toys” such as camera equipment and tools, or books and music. Most shops on Etsy are geared towards women so I hate to admit that I don’t really have any favorites. As you might expect I like looking to see what other Etsy photographers are doing. A great way to do that is to do a search on “poe team” to see all of the wonderful photos of the Photographers of Etsy team of which I'm a member.



I would like to thank Nature Is Art for taking part in my Favourite Etsy Shop Feature. I am a big fan of nature photography and the photos in this Etsy shop are breathtaking. I have to say my favourites are the Winter Wildfire - Red Fox and the Nap Time - Panda Bear. Take a look at this wonderful photography and see which one is your favourite www.NatureIsArt.etsy.com

1 comment:

Kerry said...

Beautiful photographs! I absolutely love that last one!