Friday, January 14, 2011

Favourite Etsy Shop Friday


Favourite Etsy Shop Feature

Williamsburg Bears

www.williamsburgbears.etsy.com

1. Tell us a bit about yourself.
I am a 49 yr. old mother of 3 wonderful children, all grown and on their own, and Grammy to two adorable boys. My father put a pencil in my hand as soon as possible which began my love of all things handmade. My mother taught me knitting, crocheting, embroidery, and sewing. My father taught me carving, wood working, drawing, painting, mechanics, and fishing. He wanted a boy and the poor man got stuck with 3 girls so I was his tomboy. My Grandmother began my interest in quilting.

My daily goal in life has always been to learn something new every day and to get someone to smile.


2. What made you open your shop and why Etsy?
Opening the shop was actually my daughter’s idea. Amy found Etsy and was so impressed with the sight she urged me to put my bears on.




3. Do you sell your bears anywhere else?
Etsy is the only place to find my bears.

4. How did you choose your shop name?
Williamsburg, Ohio is the small town where we lived when my children were growing up. I started making my bears at that time and wanted to honor the town I had come to love.




5. What are your favourite things to do?
I love being with the people I love more than anything in the world. Having everyone together and cooking a huge meal for them is my heart’s desire. When I’m alone my favorite thing to do is sit outside on a clear summer’s night and gaze up at the stars. As a child I would lay in the cool grass with my arms spread wide and stare at the stars for hours. Of course I’m too old to lay in the grass now and the chiggers would eat me up but it is still my favorite thing to do.
But if you mean my favorite craft it is definitely making bears. When they begin to take shape and their little personalities begin to emerge, I fall in love with each and every one of them.

6. What inspires you?
Nature. I’m not sure how to explain it. Something stirs in me.




7. Which of your bears is your favourite to make?
My favorite is the one I’m working on at the time whether it’s a 2inch miniature or a 3 foot hairy brute.


8. If you could learn one new craft what would it be?
I am learning how to do woodturning. I love the smell of the wood.




9. Which handmade possession given to you do you cherish?
My Grandmother and Great Aunt both made quilts for me when I first got married. Grandma’s is made from old dresses, slacks and shirts I remember seeing her wear as I grew up. They are most cherished because both of these special ladies are gone now.


10. Name 3 other Etsy shops you love to visit.
A Little Character - I could look at their amazing faces all day. So much personality.


Spirit Faces - I love the spirit faces. Something about wise looking old man faces in trees...

And lastly, Pieces of Pine.




A big thank you to Williamsburg Bears for being my featured Etsy shop this week. I am just in love with all of her bears. I wish all of them could come and live at my house and join my other handmade bears. So much character, so much cuteness, oh my goodness how could you not love them. If you've never owned a handmade bear then you need to have at least one. There is something about them that makes you believe they come to life when no one is looking. I think its the love and care that is taken when they are created. A Williamsburg Bear would be a great start to your collection as each one is very special.

1 comment:

Tracey said...

Lovely interview! Clever idea too featuring Etsy artists.
Williamsburg Bears are absolutely adorable. They look completely cuddle-able and very friendly. The exact sort of bear I'd want to meet in the woods.
Thanks for letting me know that my shop was mentioned. That was sweet of you and sweet of Williamsburg Bears to include ALittleCharacter in her list of shops she likes to visit on Etsy!
smiles from me Tracey